Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/31/d279254620/htdocs/clickandbuilds/smf/migrated279797140/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
how to prove the absolute value of any continuous function is continuous.
MathCS.org Forums
March 25, 2017, 09:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to prove the absolute value of any continuous function is continuous.  (Read 49619 times)
tcook10

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

Please help me to understand how to prove The absolute value of any continuous function is continuous.
webmaster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »

I would go about it using the definition of absolute value, together with the fact that f(x) is continuous. Something like this:

Recall |f(x)| = f(x) if f(x) >= 0 or -f(x) if f(x) < 0

By assumption f(x) is continuous at c, i.e. |f(x) - f(c)| < epsi if |x - c| < delta

You need to show that | |f(x)| - |f(c)| | < epsi if |x - c| < delta

Now try three cases:

(1) f(c) > 0, which also implies that f(x) > 0 if x and c are close enough (why?) ... (use def of |f(x)|)
(2) f(c) < 0, which also implies that f(x) < 0 if x and c are close enough (why?) ... (use def of |f(x)| again but factor out a minus sign ...)
(3) f(c) = 0, which follows right away from f being continuous

Hope it helps, best of luck.
ste

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

Continuity of f(x) implies that |f(x) - f(c)| < epsilon whenever |x - c| < delta. Where "epsilon" and "delta" are positive real numbers.

Now,

| |f(x)| - |f(c)| | =< |f(x) - f(c)| for all x, which completes the proof.

i.e. | |f(x)| - |f(c)| | =< |f(x) - f(c)| < epsilon whenever |x - c| < delta, so |f(x)| is a continuous function.

Hope this helps.

Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: